Rajah Humabon Monument

Rajah Humabon Monument
This is my second destination in Going Back to the History of Cebu

Right after the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, as instructed by the cathedral's caretaker, just few steps crossing the high way, I found this plaza that answered my question: "Who was the first Christian in the Philippines?"  The plaza is beside the intersection, and in the middle of the high way.  It's an open space and like a typical park in the country.  There were some trees, flowers, grass and the landscape are really beautiful. 

Rajah Humabon also known as Rajah Hamabar was the Rajah or  a leader of Zubu (now Cebu) during Ferdinand Magellan's exploration in the Philippines in 1521.   According to the writings on the marble plate that can be found in Plaza Hamabar Marker: Rajah Humabon was the first Filipino chieftain to embrace Christianity.  Regraded as the wisest and bravest man in the island.  When Ferdinand Magellan landed on Cebu on Sunday, April 7, 1521, Rajah Humabon made a blood compact with Magellan as a symbol of their new found friendship.  Captivated by its noble teachings, Rajah Humabon was converted into Christianity.

On Sunday Morning, April 14, 1521, Humabon as his wife, Humamai and about 800 Cebuano's were baptized.  Humabon was given the name Carlos in honor of King Charles V of Spain and his wife Queen Juana after King Charle's mother.
Rajah Humabon
In remembrance of the occasion, Magellan gave Queen Juana an image of the child Jesus as a gift.  While a large cross was erected to mark the Baptismal.

Well, after reading what's written on the marble, everything was crystal clear in my mind.  I was able to answer my own question.  Since the plaza is an open space, some vendors were there selling their products.   But, at the rear part of the part, while reading what's written on the plate, there was an old lady washing her clothes and was trying to solicit a money from me.  She told me that she needing 900 pesos to go home somewhere in south Cebu, unfortunately I wasn't help her.  First thing, I don't know if she's saying the truth or not, secondly it's not a part of my travel budget.  I just said "Goodbye" to her.  Next time that I will be going to encounter such, I will refer them to DSWD, I am a traveller not a politician, hehehe.

Anyways, just beside the park, you can find Cebu Cathedral Museum which contains a lot of memorabilia from the past Archbishop of Cebu.

Popular Posts