The Ruins | What to Visit in Talisay

The Ruins
This was part of my Negros Solo-Backpacking | Day 3

This tourist spot is part of my LIST TO VISIT, so I was so happy when I was here.  I was at the entrance; I saw this gigantic shadow like structure few meters from me. I was star struck because it’s a dream come true. With my backpack, of course on my back, that’s why it’s called backpack because it’s really on my back, right? Anyways, going back, with my backpack on my back, I directly went to the fountain area, sit on the bench and was staring to the Ruins for 20 minutes, while the other tourists were taking some photos of the fountain, so maybe I was in their photo that time. Then I proceed to the main entrance and here’s what I learned:

This structure is known worldwide as one of the best ruins of the modern time, because of its gorgeous Italianate architecture with neo-Romanesque columns. A lot of names circulated, like: Balay Daco, Simento nga Balay, Mansyon, Palasyo, Lacson Mansion, Balay ni Anoy and many more, but one name best describes the structure – The RUINS.

The Ruins of Talisay City was the largest residential structure built at that time.  This mansion belongs to sugar baron Don Mariano “Anoy” Ledesma Lacson (1865-1948.) Built after the death of his wife Maria Braga (1911) and served as the residence of their unmarried children. But, early part of World War II, USAFEE and then guerrilla fighters bunt this mansion to prevent the Japanese forces in making this structure as their headquarters. It was burning for three days, leaving no traces of its glorious past, but still the effort of the workers paid off, because it’s gorgeous RUINS are still standing and part of our today.

The Ruins
Architechture

One of the sons, Felipe was the one supervised the construction of this mansion. He insured that the mixtures of concrete that they were using were all in A-grade. The pouring plan was precisely followed and he made sure that he and the builders run their hands to the walls, posts, columns and arches and they should feel the marble-like effect on that. Before pouring, he even gathered more people to ensure that the process will be done non-stop until the whole structure is complete.

Rich sugar planters
Historical fountain
Golden Coy fish can be seen in the water of this fountain.

Old house in Negros

The flooring used in the mansion were long-span 2-inch thick hard wood, running from the main entrance facing the fountain all the way to the end of the dining room with no joints. The woods were about a meter wide and were approximately 20.5 meters long.  They initially poured three drums of gasoline to ignite the floors of the mansion but nothing happened.  Upon returning, they mixed two drums of gasoline with four drums of used oil and poured the mixture on the floors of the mansion.

History of Talisay
Look on the angle of the stairs

History of Ilo-Ilo
I don't know who are these people

House near sugar plantation
Beside the structure, cafeterias are available which can serve you a sumptuous meal.

What to Visit in Panay
The green grass is a proof that gardeners of this spot are well trained.

Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers
Marked by the Philippine Institute of Civil Engineers

The Ruins

The rain gutters at the top of the mansion are made of concrete and formed like canals. Rain water runs to the back portion of the mansion were two large down spouts leads the water to a steel pipe to the ground where all the water is collected and used for washing their clothes.


Walls of The Ruins
As what you can see the two photos above, the arcs, the designs and the smooth walls were properly made.

The Ruins
Before leaving this site, I took this photo and I will truly miss this site. My stay here was remarkable and cannot be compared to the other sites I visited. HOW TO GET HERE? Please read my itinerary here: Negros Solo-Backpacking Day 3. You can also read my stories here: Day 1 and Day 2

Popular Posts